A Guest Post by Rod Edens: Jan 26, 2013. Previous Installments.
Work continues on the Shanty Trawler. The decking is almost done. The deck boards are supported by “joists” a few inches above the old deck. The new deck is flat and level, whereas the original sailboat deck was arched and sloped upward toward the front of the boat. I still plan to stain the deck a light grey after the pressure treated lumber has dried a few months. I’ll add a ¾ inch rope trim around the edge of the deck boards to hide any gaps between the boards and the side of the boat.
The new gunnel boards along the sides of the cockpit are attached. They hide the winches, cleats and other sailboat gear that was mounted there. The new gunnels are level front to rear, instead of sloped upward. They are made from a 2 x 6 inch pressure treated board and are about 5 inches wide at the top. This should be plenty wide to step on as you get on and off the boat. I’ll add some non-slip tape strips for safety.
As you recall, I was planning to install two poles at the back of the cockpit to support that end of the canopy top. I changed my mind. I decided to support that end of the top with a little 3 sided wood structure. As you can see from the latest pictures, the 3 sides have a lot of open, cutout areas to accommodate the warm weather along the Gulf coast. Since the boat motor will be operated by the tiller, the person driving would normally be standing or sitting in this little 3 sided enclosure. The enclosure is mounted on top of the new gunnel boards.
I’ve installed the rafters for the canopy top, but have not put the top on yet. The top will have a slight bow in it to shed water off the sides. The rafters are 2 by 2 inch boards, on about 16 inch centers. They are supported on the sides with 1 by 4 inch pressure treated boards running fore and aft. The top will be a little over 4 feet wide and almost 10 feet long. There will be 70 inches of headroom when standing on the old sailboat seats. When standing in the low part of the cockpit, the headroom will be about 80 inches.
I was trying to keep the net weight increase to the boat to around 300 pounds. I’m beginning to think I have exceeded that a bit and am anxious to how she sets and feels in the water. I hope to give her a little sea trial late next week. Maybe I’ll have a picture of the boat in the water for the next “progress” installment. The sea trial will also let me know exactly where to paint the waterline stripe.
Until next time….shanty like you mean it!
Originally posted 2013-01-28 07:39:15.